Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mr. Biscuit

Asking for you to put our kitty Biscuit in your thoughts. I took him to the vet over the weekend after two weeks of constant litter box action along with some other odd behavior. Turns out Biscuit celebrated his 8th birthday with a three inch kidney stone. 


Have you ever seen a cat get an ultrasound? Jackson and I have...it made us laugh seeing him upside down with nurses holding his paws gently while the doctor scanned his big belly. It also made me laugh when Biscuit found comfort in Jackson and cuddled up to him while we waited for the vet. Jackson said, "Mom! Biscuit got his fur on me!" He was shedding a ton because he was so stressed out. 

I cried when the vet called me yesterday to share the results of his urine test: the good news is that he didn't have a bladder infection but the upsetting news  was they found "a considerable amount" of blood in his urine. He doesn't appear to be in pain but he is constantly in his box trying to use it and I believe sometimes nothing comes out. We are encouraging more water drinking (thanks, Dr. Julie!) with this fancy water fountain.



We also changed his diet to a "special food" that we can only get at the vet. Who knew animals needed prescriptions, too? So I'll be picking up a month's supply tomorrow for both Biscuit and Abby because there is no way I can divide their meals with different types of food! The special diet should help break down the stone. We will have another ultrasound in a month to see if it works. If it doesn't...then we discuss surgery options. Ugh. Praying the food works!

P.S. Why do cats cry all the way to the vet but then are silent on the way back? I guess they figure we are going back home and not taking them to the pound like we threaten at least once a month. 


Get better, Mr. B! xoxo


Abby wanted to be a part of this entry, too!

1 comment:

  1. Aww poor Mr. Biscuit!! We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers. We have two five year old kitties and I know how upsetting it can be to go through something like this...

    ReplyDelete